Menu Close

Kabelo’s (23) question: I’m bisexual man. I’m having a problem which affects my sexual life. This started happening many years ago, but now it happens more often every time after I ejaculate. I get a sharp pain inside my penis near the tip and it becomes very sensitive. This makes me need to go to the toilet for a pee even if I can’t, which helps a little to ease the pain. When I urinate it hurts a little but not much. It seems that I am only getting this pain after ejaculating and it seems to take a few seconds after before I get it. I have not been to a doctor. If someone could please tell me what else this could be? Is it some sort of STI or infection. Why does it only hurt after ejaculating and does not hurt while masturbating? Why does it not hurt to urinate unless I have ejaculated within the last 30mins or so? Is it possible that I ripped or damaged something between the urethra and the tube that comes up from the prostate or the ejaculation duct?

Dr Dick’s response: It is very difficult to tell you exactly what the problem could be if I haven’t examined you. I would suggest that you consult with another doctor to get a second opinion. There are numerous things that could be causing the pain you are experiencing. A full STI screening would have to be done and we have to rule out that you don’t have any urethral defect or most importantly a problem with your sperm duct. An infection could also cause you to have that sharp pain when you ejaculate. The best possible doctor for you to consult with regarding this matter would be an urologist.

You may want to contact OUT’s gay-friendly clinic if you are in the Pretoria / Gauteng area (click here). Or you may want to have a look at other gay-friendly clinics around South Africa, which you can find here.