“The only thing wrong with being gay is how some people treat you when they find out.” – Robin Reardon
May is the international month against homophobia & transphobia. Here are tips on dealing with these kinds of incidents.
• Know your rights and the law.
• Seek help from people who have the authority to help address the issue.
• Get support from professionals and your community, family or friends.
• Rise above the insults. Try not to take them personally.
• Keep a cool head and mind.
• Try to avoid a direct confrontation.
• Accept yourself but realise that not everyone will.
• Remember, it’s not about you, it’s about them!
If you need advice or support:
- Ask Dr Dick your questions here
- Get FREE face-to-face counselling at the TEN81 Centre in Pretoria (Book now on 012 430 3272)
- or get FREE telephonic counselling nationwide (0860 688 688)