"Love is what we were born with. FEAR is what we learned here.” – Marianne Williamson
Here is some advice from OUT on how to deal with fear in your daily life…
• Learn to breathe. Inhale for seven counts, and exhale for eleven counts. Repeat for 15 minutes.
• When fearful thoughts flood your mind, take time out. Distract yourself from the fear and worry for 15 minutes by taking a walk, making tea, or taking a bath.
• Ask yourself: What is the worst that can happen right now? Most of the time it won’t. But even if things do go wrong, chances are you will still survive.
• Sometimes facing your fear is the best solution. Avoiding it makes it even scarier.
• Use your imagination to visualise. Close your eyes and imagine a place of calm and safety, like a beautiful beach.
• Talk about it to a counsellor.
If you need advice or support, please contact:
- Dr Dick with your questions here
- or get FREE face-to-face counselling in Pretoria (Book now on 012 430 3272)
- or FREE telephonic counselling nationwide (0860 688 688)