“Guilt is cancer. Guilt will confine you, torture you, destroy you… It’s a thief.” – Dave Grohl
Here are some tips on how to deal with guilt...
- Recognise the kind of guilt you have and its purpose.
- “True” guilt is guilt for an action, decision, or other wrongdoing for which you must take responsibility, and that may have negatively affected other people.
- Deal with it by taking responsibility, trying to apologise, and trying to make amends or changes.
- Then forgive yourself and move on.
- “False” guilt is guilt for something out of your control and is irrational.
- Identify what you falsely feel guilty about, as well as your feelings.
- Recognise what you have control over versus what you cannot control. Let go of what you cannot control.
- Write and / or talk about these feelings causing the “false” guilt.
If you need more advice or support, please contact:
Ask Dr Dick here...
or get face-to-face counselling in Pretoria (Book now on 012 430 3272)
or telephonic counselling (0860 688 688)