Hate crimes: Break the silence of male rape. It's much more common in South Africa than most people think.
• If you are raped it does not make you less of a man
• Just because you may look feminine doesn’t mean you "asked for it"
• Don't let your rapist leave you feeling ashamed - you did nothing wrong
• Get medical attention immediately and get PEP to avoid HIV infection
• Get counselling to help you deal with your emotions and trauma
• Your attack is a hate crime rape and you should report it as such
If you’ve experienced a hate crime because of your sexual orientation or gender identity these organisations can help. Call one of them now or visit www.asiphephe.org.
• Lesbian and Gay Centre (Durban): (031) 312-7402
• FEW (Joburg): (011) 403-1906/7
• GALA (Joburg): (011) 717-4239
• OUT LGBT Wellbeing (Pretoria): (012) 430-3272
• Gay & Lesbian Network (Pietermaritzburg): 0860 33 33 31
• Triangle Project (Cape Town): (021) 686-1475
For more information on the Love, Not Hate campaign click here.
This campaign is supported by DiDiRi, Open Society Foundation for South Africa & The Sigrid Rausing Trust.